Skip to main content
media, online, social, twitter iconmedia, online, pinterest, social iconImage result for you tube icons

Maasai Shuka Obsession (DIY)



I tried to decorate my son's tee with some patterns too.

My obsession with Maasai shuka drove me to sew something and I’m so proud of my little sewing developments so far.
Maasai shukais a protective and decorative fabric made of hand woven cotton. The Shuka woven in bright colors and plaid is an accessory used in fashion for men and women at the present time.The Shuka is a beautiful example of African handicrafts, basically used as safari blanket due to the feature of keeping warm. The fabric is always woven in vivid red by blending with black, blue or another main colour. It is also used as bath towel, scarf or home decoration accessory.
Love for the texture and colour of Maasai shuka has driven me a little crazy, and I had to sew something simple from this wonderful fabric
Have to admit though the fabric was quite some task to work with. From the fraying immediately the fabric is cut out to the overstretching when one has to unfasten a hem to name just a few. I guess like they say to master prints like Maasai Shuka, Ankara,etc, you have to do research, practice and apply elements and principles of design and Art.
For my attire, I chose brilliant red and black blocks; some call it the buffalo plaid.
I had fun with it and this is what I got.
The head wrap is a guessing game. Sometimes I get it sometimes I don’t; I guess it worked out eventually. It’s perfect for a bad hair day or for the lovers of shawls or head wraps.
 If you don't have some African attire in your wardrobe, then its time. 


Beautiful items also made from Maasai shuka(You can find all these lovely pieces in Masai Market (Kenya)
Fabric from :Biashara street.  
 



Comments

  1. Love the accessories, especially the scarf and the clutches. They are amazing-ling too good. Like it.
    ❁ ❊ Kanwalikram's Blog ❊ ❁

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for your wonderful comments.

Uniwigs.com